Wednesday, November 29, 2017

All Catholic, All the Time

So, since I was confirmed in the Catholic Church last spring, and 3 of my kids are preparing for sacraments this year, Nathaniel and I joke that we are "all Catholic, all the time."  (Obviously, it's not really a joke, but still, it's kinda fun to say it with a laugh.)  As part of my desire to share the faith, I have been adding sacred artwork and such to our home.  Here's a little tour.  First up is a crucifix that I've had for a decade:
This one is not new.  When my grandmommy died, we grandchildren (all 26 of us) sent in our requests for a keepsake.  I asked for a crucifix, and I received this one.  It is even more special to me because originally, Grandmommy gave this crucifix to my great Aunt Bess, and after Aunt Bess died, it came back to Grandmommy's house.  I love that this crucifix has a connection to two wonderful women that I still miss very much.

This sculpture was a gift from Nathaniel.  It is by a Canadian sculptor, whose work I greatly admire, named Timothy Schmalz.


I put up some saint cards as inspiration for the kids.  They are good conversation starters (Who is that?  Why is she famous? etc.)

These are in my "library", and are really for me.  I fell in love with the Pieta when I was in Rome and could get up close to the copy in the Vatican, so I got the top poster.  The bottom one is a poster of Caravaggio's famous doubting Thomas painting.  I like Caravaggio's work; the people are so realistic.

This was on etsy, and I just loved it.  It depicts the Virgin Mary and her cousin Elizabeth at the visitation, when Mary (while pregnant with Jesus) went to visit Elizabeth (pregnant with John the Baptist).  The picture I took doesn't do it justice, but it is framed and hanging in my bedroom.

I also have saint quotes and bible verses throughout the house.  And I didn't take a picture of everything (like the Virgin of Guadalupe in the playroom, or the Sacred Heart of Jesus candle in the living room).  But this gives a pretty good idea .  And what does Nathaniel think of all this?  Well, he bought me and the kids this St. Francis and the birds statue because we didn't have enough "Catholic stuff" in the basement.  I love that man.

And his mom just gave me her grandparents' crucifix, so it will be down there as soon as I hang it.

Lastly, we did enjoy a busy Thanksgiving with Nathaniel's side of the family:

No comments:

Post a Comment