Thursday, November 2, 2017

October Garden Harvest Totals

October was not as productive as I'd hoped, but I'm always hopeful for more, so that's not a surprise.

Arugula - 3+ cups (really, I could harvest as much as I want, and the bed is still covered in arugula,           which I'm leaving as a cover crop and for continual harvest until it's just too cold)
Basil - 2c+
Carrots, dragon - 2
Carrots, J'du Dobs - 1
Carrots, little finger - 7
Eggs - 147
Onions, green - 1
Peppers, Bulgarian - 3
Peppers, peppadew -  2
Sweet Potatoes, orange - 1.3 lbs
Sunberries (lots!)
Tomatillos - 1.7 lbs
Tomatoes, St Pierre - 17

and also lots of parsley, cilantro, thyme, mint, and sage


We finally had our first killing frost Oct 30 (late!), so there will only be a few more tomatoes that I pulled up and have ripening in the garage.  I do still have swiss chard, turnips, etc growing well in the garden, and I have moved the pepper plants and many other pots into the playroom to extend the harvest there.  My winter garden seedlings look great.  Their outdoor bed is not ready yet, but they are growing in their little pots for now.  I did plant some garlic and onions outside, and the garlic is already growing well.  I plan to plant more this week or next (a bit late, but I think it will be fine).

Now I need to look up some pictures of ofrendas for Lydia.  She spotted the one at church last night when we went to the All Saints Day Mass, and she (correctly) said, "What is that?  It looks Mexican."  I didn't have much time to explain about the traditions surrounding the Dias de los Muertos (Days of the Dead), so I'll have to get into it more tonight or tomorrow night.  Maybe next year we'll set up our own ofrenda.  If I start thinking like that now, maybe I can get it done...

No comments:

Post a Comment