Friday, November 3, 2017

Book Review - A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden

A Dangerous Legacy

I really enjoy Elizabeth Camden's historical novels, and this was no exception.  Set in 1903 New York, this novel deals with newspapers, telegraphs, Morse Code, and dangerous family secrets.  The main character, Lucy, is well-rounded.  She is determined to win a 40-year-old lawsuit that would help the poor tenants of New York.  She is also a talented telegraph operator, and she works for the American news agency, the AP.  Colin is poor nobility from England, and he works in the same building as Lucy, but for the English Reuters.  When they join forces to investigate some mysterious telegraphs, the intrigue really takes off.  This book has suspense, Christian romance, and tons of historical detail.  At first I thought the villain of the story was too one-dimensional, but more details were added throughout the book, which gave a needed realism.  I also enjoyed how the author was able to contrast the working class peoples' daily lives with glimpses of the very different world of the wealthy.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I highly recommend it.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment