Tuesday, February 5, 2019

January Harvest Totals and Gardening Plans

January's harvest list is pretty small: 95 eggs and 8 little Purple Dragon carrots.  I've been planning and plotting, though. 
Yes, this is a new pile of dirt.

Because I wasn't home when it was delivered, it is slightly off-placed.  We have started moving it to its rightful place, but the work is slow because the dirt froze solid in the polar vortex last week.  So we haven't been able to move much, as it will take a while to totally defrost.  In the second picture, you can see some of the log pile to the left, which I have since covered with rabbit manure and food scraps and will eventually get mounds of soil added.  The hugelkultur will be a U-shape when it is all said and done, with the curve of the U along the driveway, to capture the most sunlight.  The right side will be the old hugelkultur bed, and the left side is the log pile pictured on the left above.  I plan to plant sweet potatoes in the bottom of the U, to give them the most sun possible.  I'm still debating about what goes where on the sides.  Also, I have to work on preventing deer and rabbit attacks to my plants.
It isn't all garden planning, of course.  Saturday, we traveled to visit my nephew on his second birthday.  Gyunay enjoyed playing blocks with him.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see pics of Nathaniel moving that dirt with his shirt off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete