Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Volleyball

I played volleyball today for the first time in years.  And I do mean years; the last time I played, Malachi was 1 or 2 years old.  He'll be 8 soon.  (Side note- how did my baby boy get to be 8?!)

I was reluctant to go.  I'd been introduced to a lady at church by another church member, Alice.  Alice introduced me to Marcie something like this, "Angel played volleyball in high school!! And she used to coach!!!  She should play with you!!"  Yes, her voice really did have all those exclamation marks in it, and I was trying to melt into the floorboards as I explained that I used to play, but hadn't in so very long.  Marcie invited me anyway and said it'd be great.

I was nervous.  Nathaniel kept reminding me that I should go.

And I'm so glad I did.  It was more fun than expected.  Everyone was welcoming.  Although my body doesn't quite react like it used to (big understatement here), this overweight out-of-shape girl kept up just fine.  Most of the ladies are probably about 10 years older than me, but one was probably a bit younger than me.  She asked, "So, I'm guessing that you were the shortest one on your high school team, too, right?"

God bless her.  She could tell that I played in high school.  I haven't completely lost it.

2 comments: