Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chocolate Cinnamon Bars


Mmmmmm!

This recipe was originally my Grandmommy's, although I don't recall eating these as a kid like I do some treats.  My mom and sister rediscovered this recipe when my aunt made them a couple of years ago, and I've been meaning to try them.  I finally did, and they are wonderful!

2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar, divided
1 T and 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 c soft butter*
1 egg
1 egg, separated
1 package chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate)
1/2 c nuts (I use pecans)

Mix butter, 3/4c sugar, egg and egg yolk.  Add flour, baking powder, 1Tcinnamon.  Spread into greased 13 x 9" pan.  Beat the remaining egg white slightly and brush over mix.  Combine remaining 1/4 c sugar and 1tsp   cinnamon and sprinkle over top.  Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

*My butter wasn't getting soft, so I melted it.  It worked fine.

I made these to take to a church dinner tonight, but I let everyone try one first.  They are delicious!  (And I put them on a platter so no one can tell that there are some missing!)  The bars cut easily and stay together for serving, but they crumble and melt in your mouth.

Disclaimer for those that have the original recipe: I swapped butter for the shortening and reduced the sugar by 1/3c.

1 comment:

  1. I actually got to have a bite of these last time we were at Uncle Freds...Aunt Cathy mailed him some! I told mom I thought they were Grandmommy's recipe, but she didn't remember. Glad they were a hit!

    ReplyDelete