Saturday, January 12, 2013

Roaring 20s

Well, tonight Nathaniel and I hired a babysitter for the first time since we've been here (you know, about 5 years).  It was his company's annual dinner/dance, and this year's theme was the 1920s.  We thought that would be fun (and it was!), so we got into the spirit:
 My man looks so good in pinstripes!  And I love the vest.


I made my dress to have a 20s look.  I used some of the fabric from Missy's grandma-in-law's stash, and I used a scarf my mother-in-law bought in San Francisco's Chinatown for the sash, so I actually had a free dress.  I thought it turned out pretty cute.  



I spent quite a bit of time looking on line at 1920s fashions, and I decided to go with the drop-waist dress and sash.  I knew the flapper-style dress with fringe would be popular, but fringe is expensive and that style is really not very flattering on me, so I used a bodice pattern for a drop-waist dress and modified the bottom part because the pattern I had wasn't 20s at all.  In the end, I was pretty pleased.  I modified a pattern and it came out about what I had in mind.  And I even sewed darts on the bodice and put some flair on the dress with the front piece.  Several people commented on the dress, so I guess I did all right.  I'd never made a dress for myself, and this one was more costume than regular dress, but I think I'll use the orange fabric that is like this blue and make a summer dress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment