Saturday, August 17, 2013

Finally!

It's been a while since I shared much on the garden.  I've been impatient, because usually we have lots of ripe tomatoes by mid to late July, and we just haven't had that this year, due partially (substantially?) to the deer and also somewhat to the weather.  But now, finally, I have tomatoes turning orange and red.  Here are two beautiful Kellogg's breakfast tomatoes:


These are a beefsteak heirloom variety that are orange and large when ripe.  These two are getting close. 

The cucumber seeds we planted a couple of weeks ago for a fall garden are looking great:


The fall peas are looking great, too, although I didn't take a picture of those.  Here is one of the 2 little butternut squash:


And I photographed these same cantaloupes a week or two ago.  They are still small but ripening nicely.


Here is a Cinderella pumpkin.  It has a French name, too, and it's an heirloom variety that gets large and reddish orange.  I'm hoping this one ripens before anything happens to the plant.  The root area doesn't look so great.  The pumpkin itself is growing outside the fence.  The vine went straight through and has curled around on the grass next to the driveway.


Below is our plum tree, surrounded by lemon balm.  The peach and pear trees have also formed some leaves.


I've also been able to eat several peppers, and the basil is doing great.  The zucchini plants had to be pulled up, but I made zucchini cake from the last one a couple of days ago.  I have some little shoots of cilantro and/or parsley coming up.  The pie pumpkin plant has lots of blooms on it, so I'm hoping for some pie pumpkins, too.  The fall broccoli looks ok, too.  All in all, we are going to get plenty of food from the garden this year, even if it isn't as much as I'd wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment