Friday, August 30, 2013

Flour

A few years ago, I was reading a blog I liked.  The woman said she had 7 kinds of flour on her counter, and I thought, "Who on earth needs seven kinds of flour?"  It just seemed so excessive!  So today, I was looking at my flours, and I realized that I've become that kind of baker!  I currently have white flour, bread flour, whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, and rye flour.  That's only 6 flours, but I admit that I've considered trying spelt flour, too, and that would definately put me at seven.

Why so many flours?  Well, I bake pretty seriously now.  I actually haven't bought bread for over a month.  I've been making lots of fun things, like homemade graham crackers, sourdough bread, wheat bread, chorizo rolls, cheesy crackers, muffins, and tortillas.  Lydia and I have also dabbled in making a little fresh pasta.  I've found that different flours really do make a big difference with different recipes.  I haven't used the rye flour yet, but I do love rye bread, so I've been thinking of trying a recipe for that soon.

So is having 7 kinds of flours really weird?  Probably, but oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment