Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Garden Report

I finally got to make my first batch of salsa the other day.  Last year was the first year that I actually was able to can enough salsa to last the whole year without skimping on it, but this year I didn't have enough tomatoes to can until now.  We are getting ripe tomatoes now, but I am having trouble with raccoons and slugs wanting them also.  I have lots of green tomatoes, so I am hoping to get lots ripe at once so I can make lots more salsa.  Several peppers have ripened, and we ate one of the two little cantaloupes.  The second I just brought in this morning, and I'll be cutting it up later.  I have tiny pie pumpkins forming now, and the Cinderella pumpkin is turning redder.

In the fall planting, the peas look really healthy, and so do the cucumber plants.  The broccoli has taken a nibbling from the caterpillars, but I think it's going to be fine.

The chickens have been giving us between 8 and 11 eggs most days.  One or two of them have started laying extra large eggs, and a few have large eggs, while the rest still lay small ones.  I'm pretty sure all of the hens are laying now (except maybe the hurt one?).  The hurt chicken has been limping some, but otherwise seems fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment