Friday, December 6, 2013

Tree Trimming

I have so many memories of Christmas trees.  At Mamaw and Papaw's, the tree was huge, and gray, and covered in multi-colored lights and more ornaments than I've seen anywhere but a Hallmark store. When I was a child, I used to love to sit on the stool in front of the tree and just stare at all of the ornaments.  

 At Grandmommy and Grandpa's, the tree sat in the front window, with little white lights and was covered in mainly handmade ornaments, most cleverly and carefully made by my great-grandma, Mom.  (Yes, it confused everyone outside the family that we called our great-grandma "Mom".)  

At home, we kids decorated the tree after Dad put the lights on.  We usually sang Christmas carols while we worked.  My sister and I often sang when we were little, and at Christmas, relatives often requested songs.  


Today, we finally got the living room cleaned up and the tree set up.  The kids helped carry up the decorations.  Elijah and Malachi put the tree together themselves, and Nathaniel and Elijah put the lights on.


Then all three kids delighted in decorating the tree.  I'm so glad that they like that tradition.  I put on the radio, on a station with Christmas music.


So, now we sit inside where it's warm as the ice and snow collects outside, and I am reminded of so many memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment