Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Book Review - Prepared for a Purpose

Prepared for a Purpose  -     By: Antoinette Tuff

I received Prepared for a Purpose by Antoinette Tuff in the mail yesterday, and I stayed up too late to finish it last night.  I didn't want to put it down.  I vaguely remembered the media attention to a woman who talked a gunman out of shooting anyone at a school in August 2013, but I didn't really remember the details.  This book tells the story of that day, interspersed with the story of Antoinette "Marie" Tuff's life.

At first, I was disappointed that the narrative started on the crisis date and then left many questions unanswered as it went back into Tuff's past, but after the first chapter, I enjoyed the interplay between her personal history and the crisis in the school office.  Tuff asserts that she was prepared by the Lord for a purpose, and that day, she was a vessel used for good.  Her testimony is interspersed with Bible verses, and it is obvious that Tuff is a woman who focuses on God.  Each chapter begins with a Bible verse that corresponds with the issues in that chapter.  Her back story is engrossing, as is the surreal interaction between her and the gunman in the school office.  The only real complaint I have with the book is a stylistic issue: every few pages, a quote from the text is set in bold as a sidebar.  It reminded me of a magazine, where you are tempted to read an article because of a well-placed quote that draws you in.  In a book format, though, I found this distracting and unnecessary. The story is fascinating without any gimicks.

I highly recommend this book.  It would be an excellent selection for a book club, and there are discussion questions included at the end.  This story is inspiring and uplifting, and Tuff gives all the glory to God.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment