Monday, March 25, 2019

Book Review - When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible by Jill Eileen Smith

When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible Jill Eileen Smith's latest book, When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams, was a solid read.  I have read some of Smith's fiction before (and it is very, very good), so I was intrigued about reading this nonfiction.  It isn't what I expected, though, as each chapter begins with a creative fictional "what-if" piece.  These are really well written, but at the same time, they take a bit away from the nonfiction, in my opinion.  There is a lot of creative license here, and I found myself at times more interested in reading more of the fictional story than the nonfictional reflections. Smith did raise some viewpoints to ponder that I hadn't considered before, and this is great for reflection.  Also, the questions at the end of each chapter would lend well to a book group, as well as just for personal reflection.  I think this book is best read slowly, with time to ponder the message.  Overall, this was a good read.
I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing an honest review, but all opinions are my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment