Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Hugelkultur

The bigger, improved hugelkultur is ready for spring!  (I realize it doesn't look like much in this photo.)
This is the entrance of the U.  The cardboard is a walkway.  I have planted some peas along the side on the right and straight ahead, for a couple of reasons.  For one thing, I like peas, and I hope I get to harvest some, but even if the deer devour them, they will be fixing nitrogen in the soil and helping to retain the soil.  And if the deer do feast on the peas, I'll know that I need to adjust the plant protection.  I don't think I'll have much rabbit pressure on the gardens this year.  We did for the last couple of years, but a hawk has moved into the neighborhood, and I haven't seen any for quite some time.  I plan on planting some other plants to the left soon.
Where I've planted the peas is where I'll be planting sweet potatoes in June.  The peas will be wilting from the heat by then, and the sweet potatoes love the sun and warmer soil, so I always plant them quite late.  

No comments:

Post a Comment