Friday, August 24, 2012

Tomato Squash Bake

At my farmer's market, there's a really nice lady that grows unusual things.  She gave me a recipe for an edible gourd bake, using the Italian gourd cucuzzi.  Since that is the only cucuzzi I have ever seen, I adapted the recipe for yellow squash.  (Plus, the cucuzzi had some pretty annoyingly hard seeds.)  But this casserole is really good!

2 squash, peeled and sliced
about 3 tomatoes, sliced
1 onion, sliced thin
1 garlic clove, minced
thyme, about 1 tsp dry or 1 T fresh
2 pieces of bread, preferably wheat
parmesan cheese
1 T butter or oil
pepper

First, saute the onion in the butter.  Add the garlic just at the end, for about a minute, so you don't burn it.  Set aside.  Cover the bottom of a greased 9 x 13" pan with your squash slices.  Top with tomato slices, then top that with the onion.  Sprinkle pepper and thyme on top.  Tear the bread into little pieces and spread them over the mix and liberally coat the top of everything with parmesan cheese.  I think the original recipe called for 1/2 c, but I never measure cheese.  Bake in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes.  It's done when you can pierce the squash with a fork easily.

TPS:
* cut your squash and tomato slices about the same thickness.  Mine were probably 3/4".
* You can halve or double this recipe easily.  To halve, just put it in an 8" pan.  To double, layer the ingredients again and bake for about 30 minutes.

Since we've had cooler mornings this week, I made this for my lunch and was very happy with it!  (And that's a good thing, since I'm the only one who would eat a dish like this in my house.)

No comments:

Post a Comment