Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review - Tide and Tempest



I've been eager to read this book but didn't want to start it until I had enough time to really read it.  I knew I probably wouldn't want to put it down, since it is part of a 3-book series, and the second book kept me turning pages into the night.  In this one, Irish immigrant Tillie McGrath gets a visit from the sea captain that brought her to America two years prior.  As Captain Morgan and his brother try to protect Tillie from danger and find out who is threatening her life, romance blooms.

For readers who have not read the previous two books, it would probably be a bit confusing or frustrating in some spots.  It could be enjoyed without reading the previous books, but I recommend reading the series in order for the best experience.  I absolutely loved the second book in this series, and although I enjoyed this book, I prefered the second one to the third.  Still, it was a fun read, and I do love historical fiction.  From a faith standpoint, I don't think this one had as much faith content to it as the previous one.  The two main characters are plagued by bad past decisions and Tillie in particular feels like God is (and in her mind should be) punishing her for her misdeeds, and I don't think the faith angle was fully resolved or fleshed out.

Overall, I believe Elizabeth Ludwig is a very good writer.  I still plan on going back and reading the first book in this series.  Although I prefered the second book, I enjoyed this book, and I do recommend it.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for the purpose of a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment