Lydia was really interested in "helping" me get ready. Here the burner has not been lit yet. You can see the ice in the sap.
This is the set-up I'm using on the deck. I picked the deck so I can keep an eye on it from the house, but I put it on bricks so it was well away from the wood. The burner is attached to a propane tank. We borrowed the tripod burner from my dad.
Lydia really enjoyed playing outside for a while. You can see that she's got a bad cold in her eyes. She's been pretty grumpy and tired today.
This is how the sap looks now, after boiling for about 5 hours. It took about 1 hour to get the frozen mixture up to a roiling boil. After it had boiled off a couple of inches, I did add more sap back up to the full point. Now you can see that it is well under half way full. When it gets a bit further down, I will pour it into my stock pot and bring it inside to finish it off. I will also turn off the propane but fill up the canning pot with the ice brick of sap, to hopefully thaw it out. I have to leave to pick up the boys in a bit, so I plan to do all this right before I leave.
To be continued....