Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Book Review - Murder at the Courthouse by A. H. Gabhart



I
















I recently read Murder at the Courthouse by A. H. Gabhart.  The setting is a very small town in Kentucky, and the main character, Michael, is a man who spent some time as a police officer in a big city but found he prefers the pace of his home town, Hidden Springs, where murders just don't happen.  Then, of course, a body is found on the steps of the courthouse.  Michael's investigation intertwines with his concern for a teenage boy, and he is quickly discovering that he didn't escape all of the big city problems by coming home, and now the issues he has to investigate are much more personal. 

This book is a well-constructed mystery in a small town setting.  The main character, Michael, is a very likeable and convincingly dedicated police officer.  Michael's traumatic past is interwoven into the story, and I liked the detail and depth given to his character.  There are several other well-drawn characters, too.  Although I figured out the murderer before the climax of the book, there were still other surprise revelations that I won't give away here.  This appears to be the first in a series of books set in Hidden Springs, and the author left room for further character development in later books.  Murder at the Courthouse was an enjoyable read with characters I'd like to hear from again. 

I received this book from publisher Revell for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment