Monday, October 17, 2016

Book Review - Kit Kat and Lucy by Lonnie Hull DuPont


This is a cat lover's book.  The author details her move back to the country after being a "city girl" for a couple of decades.  She talks about her newfound cats in her rural Michigan home, as well as her past and life with cats and a husband in general.  The back cover reads like the author discovered the joys of cats late in life, but I think it is more accurate to say she rediscovered them, as her frequent remarks about her childhood attest to her long love of animals, particularly cats.  I think the strongest points of the book detailed how the cats helped her through anxiety and depression.  Also, she is very good at painting a picture of how animals move with her words.  I particularly enjoyed how she described the banty hen and later, the cardinals.  Overall, this is a good book, but not a compelling one.  I had no problem setting it down and going away from it for a week while reading other things.  However, although I like cats and most animals, I am not a cat person, and I think the appeal would be much greater to a real cat lover.  I also felt that although the end of the book did actually end with some closures and new beginnings, it didn't feel like the end of a book so much as the end of a chapter.

I received this book from the publisher for a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment