Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tree planting and etc

Well, after all the company was gone Monday, I really needed to get some work done around the yard.  I did a little weeding and planting, but not nearly enough of either.  Then Monday night, Nathaniel dug holes for me to plant the trees.  We planted: 1 dwarf golden apple, 1 dwarf red delicious apple, 1 dwarf cherry, 1 dwarf Keiffer pear, 1 dwarf peach, and 1 dwarf plum plus a mulberry tree.  I'm still trying to figure out just where to put the 2 (full-sized) persimmon trees.  Nathaniel also cut down a couple of diseased small trees and one of the crabapple trees - the one near the garden.  The plum is planted over there now, but closer to the driveway so it won't shade the garden or block the gate.  It never really produced crabapples except for a handful.  It was a pretty tree, but we have another in the front that is the kids' favorite, and I needed a place for the plum that was away from oak trees (according to my library tree book).  We have lots of oaks, and I don't intend on cutting any of those down, so the options for the plum were quite limited.  But now we've planted 7 fruit trees and have 2 more to go.

Yesterday was the last day of school.  The boys are excited for summer break.  They brought home loads of stuff that I need to go through.  Lydia and I rented a couple of movies from the library, so they watched the first half of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief last night (they'll watch the rest tonight with Nathaniel).  This morning, they watched the original 101 Dalmatians with Lydia, so the movies were a nice treat.

Now for summer break!  On the schedule, we have boy scout day camp, VBS, tennis lessons, trips to grandparents' houses, a family trip (with lots of family) to Cincinnati, and summer reading programs.  Plus, I still have to figure out when we can do swim lessons. Wow, that looks like a lot when I write it all down.  And our around the house goals include teaching the boys to type and to write in cursive.

No comments:

Post a Comment