Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Review - Dark Road Home by Elizabeth Ludwig


Cover Art


Dark Road Home by Elizabeth Ludwig is the second book in her Edge of Freedom series.  I haven't read the first one, but this was a good stand-alone book.  I had a hard time putting it down, so I spent most of yesterday reading.  The main characters, Ana and Eoghan, have tragic pasts that have caused them to reject church and God, but both find themselves at Our Lady of Deliverance church.  Eoghan is dropped on the church's doorstep, and agrees to be their handy man for "just a day or two", while Ana's friend convinces her to help with the women and children's shelter at the church, "just once".  Both are welcomed in by Father Ed and the Sisters, and one or two visits become more.

Both Ana and Eoghan's pasts catch up with them, and they find themselves embroiled in trouble involving an Irish underground group.  There is a lot of suspense and some really dark characters involved.  Ultimately, Ana and Eoghan have to decide if they can trust each other, and if they can put their trust in God.  This is a page turner!  The story is set in New York city around the turn of the century, and I appreciated the historical details.  I really liked the main characters.  Both are flawed, believable, and endearing.  I highly recommend this book.  It is historical, suspenseful, and a Christian romance all in one.  It looks like I now have another author to read!

I was given this book by Bethany House for my review, but my opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment