Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review - Stopping Words that Hurt by Dr. Michael Sedler

Stopping Words That Hurt: Positive Words in a World Gone Negative

I recently received Stopping Words that Hurt: Positive Words in a World Gone Negative by Michael Sedler from Chosen books.  The title is pretty self-explanatory.  The book deals with evil reports and how to avoid talking and listening to negativity.

Each chapter has discussion/reflection questions at the end.  I think this would be a good book for a Sunday school class to work through together.  I also believe youth leaders could pull out passages for discussion although I don't think teenagers would likely read this book.  I'm fairly certain that was not the author's intent, but I could see good discussions from a youth group based off some situations presented in the book.  The author presents biblical examples throughout the text, and he also provides "today" examples.  In the first couple of chapters, the biblical examples seemed a bit remote from today's world (how many of us have the power to order a man to be killed?), but then he started incorporating more modern examples and more biblical examples that don't involve captial punishment.  The book was a bit repetitive, but he makes many good points about the impact of negative speech on our daily lives.

I received this book from Chosen Publishing for the purpose of writing a review, but the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment