Friday, May 2, 2014

Book Review - Here to Stay by Melissa Tagg

Cover Art

I recently received my latest novel from Bethany House Publishing, Here to Stay by Melissa Tagg.  I read and reviewed her first novel, Made to Last.  I liked her first book, and I had hoped that she would write a book around the character Blake, and this second book is just that.  Many times, reviewers lament that a writer's second book is not as good as her first, but this sophomore effort is excellent.  I liked this book better than the first one!  This book takes up with Blake ("Blaze") returning to his home town after being gone for 6 years.  He was trying to run away from past memories and guilt that he doesn't want to relive.  The story alternates between him and Autumn, a young woman who never got out of her small town but always wanted the chance at adventure.  As they begin to work together on the town's Christmas festival, the complications from their past and their families' disapproval come to light, but neither can deny that they are quickly falling in love.  This was a good, Christian romance.  The characters are very likeable, and their faults and virtues are realistic.  There are several secondary characters that are endearing, too, but some readers may get a bit distracted by the number of secondary characters.  (Honestly, that rarely bothers me, but it can "clutter" the story for some, and in the beginning it can take a while to get everyone straight.)
I highly recommend this book.  I got very little done around here because I was too busy reading!

I received this book from the publisher, Bethany House, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment