Sunday, May 18, 2014

Seed Starting and Kale Soup

Nathaniel took Malachi kayaking today, so Lydia and Elijah helped me start some seeds in pots on the deck.  Elijah has been very eager to get cucumbers planted, so I let him plant 3 seeds in this big planter:


Last year, we found that the trellis side of the deck works well for some plants that need that, and I think these cucumbers will do well here.  We are going to plant more cucumbers in the big garden, but it isn't ready yet.  Nathaniel is going to till it tomorrow, so I hope to plant seeds Tuesday for cucumbers, cantaloupes, zucchini, honeydew, pumpkin, and maybe butternut squash.  


\
Lydia enjoyed getting the dirt into the pots for us.  She also helped plant the carrot, dill, cilantro, and lavender seeds.  She's an eager helper in the garden.

We went to the farmer's market Saturday to pick up some vegetables.  At one booth, Malachi exclaimed, "Kale!  Mommy, can we get kale and have kale soup for dinner?"  Of course I said yes.  I'm so happy to have one of my kids get excited over kale.  Both boys love kale soup, which is easy and very nutritious.  This is how I make it:

2 bunches of kale (about 1/2 lb)
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup white beans
1 cup cooked Mexican chorizo (or other sausage)
splash of vinegar (optional, about 2 tsp)

Combine all ingredients in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 30 minutes.  (I usually simmer for an hour or so for more flavor.)  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I have made this with sausage and with some of my homemade chorizo.  Nathaniel and I prefer the chorizo, but the sausage is really good, too.  I serve it with rolls or bread.  This recipe is based off of a Portuguese Kale Soup recipe from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette.


No comments:

Post a Comment