Thursday, June 19, 2014

Garden Endeavors

This year, I am keeping a garden diary for the first time.  That's a fancy way of saying that I have a notebook that I use to write down everything I plant and whether it lives or dies.  I think it will be helpful as I decide which varieties to plant, and when, in future years.  

Here is my latest attempt:

Sweet Potatoes!  I got some organic sweet potato slips from June at the farmer's market last Saturday.  I planted 10 slips in 3 mounds.  I've never attempted sweet potatoes before, but they love heat, so this weather should agree with them.  I've bought June's sweet potatoes in the past, and they are delicious, so I have hopes that mine will turn out well.  I'll have to ask her when to dig them up; I'm not sure how long they grow.  

On the negative side, deer have been jumping the fence and eating my tomato plants.  They've eaten at least 12 plants in half, plus 2 broccoli.  I'm very disturbed by this, but if I can keep them from getting any more, I should still have tons of tomatoes because I planted more than 50 plants.  

Our garden is not the only one we are helping to care for this year.  Malachi's garden club planted a nice garden at school, and the families are taking turns weeding, watering, and harvesting.  Our first turn was this morning, and all three kids were eager to pitch in.  Malachi is very handy with a hoe.  Elijah and Lydia took care of watering.  I hand-weeded.  Plus, all of the kids got to pick a few vegetables that were ready: 1 nice head of lettuce, 2 banana peppers, 5 green onions, 1 small head of broccoli, and 1 small zucchini.  We're having salad tonight!  (Wilted lettuce for me - with bacon dressing!) 

As for our chickens, the raccoon has not been able to get into the coop since Nathaniel reinforced the door.  Although he set the trap two days ago, we haven't actually caught the raccoon, either.  This morning, there was a squirrel, who was very happy to be let go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment