Thursday, August 25, 2016

Book Review - To Follow Her Heart by Rebecca DeMarino

To Follow Her Heart: A Novel (The Southold Chronicles) (Volume 3)This book is the third in a series, and it is set in the 1600s in New England.  While I enjoy historical fiction (and nonfiction) very much, I was not pulled in to this story.  The romance between the main characters was frustrating and drawn-out, and I frankly lost interest in it and found that I really didn't care whether or not they would eventually get married.  There was a lot of focus on duty, and although that can be a good thing, here it was just more of an excuse to keep them apart.  Neither of the main characters was particularly compelling to me.  There were several secondary characters, and at times it took a bit to sort them out.  Some of these characters are from the first two books, but others are new to this one.  The series overall is based on the ancestors of the author, and I liked that fact, but the story is slow and meandering.  I did like the friendship between the women, and the bits about the Dame School were interesting, but overall I really didn't care for this book.

I received this book from the publisher, Revell, for the purpose of writing a review, but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment