Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Planting and dreaming

Well, this weekend didn't go exactly according to plan.  Malachi got a stomach bug, and Nathaniel pulled a muscle in his back, so there was a lot less work getting done around here.  Lydia and I have transplanted some broccoli and brussel sprouts into the garden, though.  So far, we've planted a dozen of each in the garden.  The four broccoli plants I put in the strawberry patch are doing fine, too.  And, surprise! some of the strawberries are looking great now, and there are about 25 plants, which is far fewer than the 75 I had planted, but still more than I thought I had left.  Maybe we'll have a few berries, after all.

I've been dreaming about fruit trees since we moved here.  I'd really like a little orchard, but I obviously don't have room for that here.  So I've been scouting the yard for good spots for fruit trees and trying to decide which fruit trees to plant.  I'd really like to plant 3 trees, but I'm having a hard time coming up with three good spots.  One of the spots I thought might work turns out to be in the field bed area, so that's a no-go.  Nathaniel and I have been really considering plum trees, which means we'd need two.  Elijah has been lobbying really hard for peach trees.  I'd love to have one (in addition to the plums), but space is an issue, so we'll see.  I need to have Nathaniel walk the yard with me again and see what we can come up with.

One highlight of the weekend:

Lydia helped me make Bulgarian Pitka bread, which was delicious!  Basically, it is homemade crescent rolls with honey and butter inside them piled up in a pan and baked for a pull-apart bread that's delicious dipped in honey butter.  I found the recipe here: http://www.orgasmicchef.com/bread/bulgarian-pitka-bread/  and thought it looked like a good thing to try.  I was right.  And now I can use the basic dough recipe to make regular crescent rolls, which are Nathaniel's favorite and not one that I've ever attempted from scratch before.  Lydia really liked brushing the melted butter on the layers.  She's into being a helper lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment